She is clothed in strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25

Monday, July 26, 2010

What's in the Cup

Yesterday, Pastor reminded us about 'the cup of milk' analogy. When you hold a cup of milk and someone bumps you, milk comes out. Really deep, I know. The deeper meaning behind it is we only think we know what our cups hold. When life bumps you, what comes out? Anger? Depression? Hopelessness? Cursing? Drinking? When life is overwhelming or when things go in the complete opposite direction you were hoping, what comes out of your cup?

Most people believe their cup is full of patience and understanding. And then when harsh words slip out of their mouth, or harsh actions fall from their hands, the response is usually, "Sorry, I'm having a bad day." The harsh words and actions are what reside in the cup. When bad days happen, the thoughts and actions that come out pour straight from the cup.

That sermon reminded me that I still have anger in my cup. When life presses hard, I snap back at it. But the proper response to stress is rarely anger. Thankfully, I serve a loving and compassionate God who can help guide me to what should be in my cup.

"Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:9-10

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home