She is clothed in strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Unnatural Strength

The things I need help with are rarely monumental tasks. It is the everyday chores and commitments that get overwhelming for me. Yesterday morning I went on a 9 mile run. I came home sore and tired but it felt good. Then I went to my mother's house to help her with some chores that are getting more and more difficult for her.

By the time I got home, all my body wanted to do was sit. I knew I had the strength to wash last night's dishes and make dinner but there was no desire within me to do it. I prayed, "God, if You can build within me the endurance to run 9 miles in a shot, then I know You can help me to take care of my house. Help me to do what I need to do." Within five minutes I was humming away, washing dishes, cutting meat, prepping potatoes and even made a salad. When the last plate was set on the table I flopped down, winded and tired.

It was in that moment I remembered a promise: God gives us enough strength for today. That was exactly what He gave me. Enough strength to do what I needed to do, along with a desire to do it. Washing dishes and making dinner may not seem like supernatural strength to you, but there are days when it takes an act of God to get me moving. Thankfully, all I need to do to tap into that strength is pray.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home